Building of a Black Pearl - page 4
Its time for the cockpit coaming to be made. For this purpose a mould of foam needs to be made first. I have cut out
pieces of a large block of hard foam and glued these to the deck around the hole.
The hard foam is now profiled to the shape of the cockpit coaming. The blask lines is only to
visualise the shape better.
The coaming is being layed up. It need at least 4-5 layers of glass. The black coulor is only
caused by ink in the resin.
The coaming is now finalised. I ended up with 7 layers of fibre with in between grindings.
All in all it took 3 weeks, partly due to the low temperature. I have to conclude that there is no easy way to do a coaming.
Deck with coaming now weight 4,4 kg and the kayak as a whole 11,5 kg.
Bulkhead just rear of the cockpit is being glued. This bulkhead is installed skew
for better emptying water out of the kayak.
Both bulkheads are now in place and laminated.
Mean while I have worked on a proto type of a new deck fitting. I have drilled two
inclined dowels through fitting and deck and layed over one layer of glas fibre. The fitting is tested to a pulling
force of more than 12 kg.
Here all the deck fittings are cut ti size after a single layer of fibre.
I have carves gutters in the deck for more space for the lines, here for
the stern carry handles.
The fittings are glued, the dowels are drilled and finally
they are coated with an aditionally layer of fibre and epoxy.
After having thought a lot about type of hatches to apply I have made up my mind for
wood hatches. I cannot make myself fitting rubber hatches to the boat.
In stead of making flush counter sunk hatches
as on my Petrel I will raise the hatches slightly with a high profiled edge list. The coaming shall also be raised and
hopefully the they will be almost tight.
Now time for cutting the holes for the hatches.
Negative moulds for the coaming are glued.
The moulds are shaped and waxed three times and ready for laying up the GRP.
The deck is her upside down.
Front hatch coaming laminated.